Given the unique needs of community and technical colleges in general and of West Virginia in particular, the WV Statewide Partnership to Advance Community College Education in STEM (WV SPACES) offers opportunities to community and technical college students and faculty that will assist them as they seek meaningful educational opportunities and future jobs in STEM fields. Specific opportunities through WV SPACES will include two distinct yet compatible opportunities – Fellowships/Internships for students and Course Development for faculty.
Summer Internships at High-Tech Companies in West Virginia
Internships for students in STEM fields in West Virginia. These internships provide hands-on experience, career awareness, networking, and opportunities to create work that informs and educates
- High-Tech Companies in West Virginia that may be interested in hiring interns:
- Aurora Flight Sciences Corporation
- Engine & Airframe Solutions Worldwide, LLC
- Touchstone Research Laboratory, Ltd.
- The amount of these awards is $8,000 per student. (Based on a 40 hr week/ 10 week on site)
- Deadline to apply for Summer 2018 Internship: March 31, 2018, by 5:00 p.m. (EST)
Academic Year Fellowships
An opportunity for students to develop STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) related projects in collaboration with faculty and/or other students (e.g. Space Flight Design Challenge) during the academic year.
- The amount of these awards is $4,000 per student. The faculty mentor will receive an honorarium of $1,000.
- Deadline to apply for Fall 2018-Spring 2019 Fellowships: May 15, 2018, by 5:00 p.m. (EST)
Community / Technical College-Based Course Development
Community and Technical College Systems (CTCS) faculty members will develop new and innovative courses at the institutions of higher education and those courses will be delivered to CTCS students during the subsequent years. It is anticipated that these courses will then continue in the regular curriculum at the CTCS colleges.
- Each successful proposal will receive up to $5,000 in NASA funds.
- These courses should be offered starting in the spring 2019 semester.
- Deadline to apply for the CTC Course Development: May 15, 2018, by 5:00 p.m. (EST)