To honor the lifetime work of Representative Dellums, Congress established the Ronald V. Dellums Memorial SMART Scholarship, with the goal to increase participation of underrepresented students in the Department of Defense STEM workforce.
This opportunity expands the SMART scholarship opportunity to rising college freshmen who plan to pursue a bachelor’s degree in one of the 24 SMART STEM disciplines. High school seniors are eligible to apply for the Dellums SMART Scholarship. Students seeking to attend a Historically Black College and University, Minority Institution, or Minority Serving Institution are particularly encouraged to apply.
What are Benefits of the Dellums SMART Scholarship?
- Full Tuition
- $30,000 Annual Stipend
- Summer Internships
- Experienced Mentor
- Book and Health Allowance
- Civilian Department of Defense Employment
What are the Eligibility Requirements?
- U.S. Citizen
- 18 Years or Older by the Completion of Student’s First College Term
- Rising Freshman Pursing a Bachelor’s Degree In, or Closely Related To, One of the SMART STEM Disciplines
- Graduate High School with a Minimum 3.0 GPA
- Maintain a College/University 3.0 GPA
- Ability to Complete Summer Internships
- Obtain and Maintain a Security Clearance
- Accept Full-Time Civilian Employment with the Department of Defense, After Graduation
The Dellums SMART Scholarship is open to all applicants who meet the eligibility requirements. The application is open annually from August 1 to December 1. For more information: https://www.smartscholarship.org/smart?id=kb_article&sys_id=5eb87d811b1f6d504e7ba820f54bcbf7